World Health Day is celebrated every year on April 7th to raise awareness about important health conditions and promote healthier living for everyone around the globe. As we celebrate World Health Day, it is important to recognize that even oral health is integral to overall health and well-being.
Why is Oral Health Important?
Oral health is vital to an individual’s overall health and well-being. A healthy mouth can be a great asset. Poor oral health can lead to pain, infection, and tooth loss and may develop other health disorders.
Connection Between Oral Health and Overall Health
Oral health refers to teeth, gums, and mouth health. Poor mouth health has been linked to several health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain oral cancers. Around 85% to 90% of adults & 60 to 80% of children in India suffer from dental cavities. Roughly 30% of children have misaligned jaws and teeth.
How Does Your Oral Health Impact Your Overall Health?
- Cardiovascular disease. People with dental caries are at a higher risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. Research suggests that heart disease, clogged arteries, and strokes are directly linked to the inflammation and infections that oral bacteria cause by entering the bloodstream.
- Diabetes. Gum disease appears to be more frequent and severe among people with diabetes. Diabetic patients have high blood sugar levels, which infuses the growth of bacteria in the mouth. Regular periodontal care can improve diabetes control.
- Pregnancy and birth complications. Gingivitis and periodontal diseases are two common diseases in pregnant women. Around 60 % to 75 % of women have gum diseases and cavities during early pregnancy. During pregnancy, hormonal levels rise, resulting in a high intake of sweet foods and a rich diet. It increases the risk of gum swelling and bleeding. Here’s how you can have good mouth care – A Woman’s Guide To Oral Care.
- Respiratory Infections: The mouth is the gateway to the respiratory system. Poor oral hygiene can lead to the growth of bacteria, which can be inhaled into the lungs and cause respiratory infections such as pneumonia. In addition, certain respiratory conditions, such as asthma, can cause dry mouth and increase the risk of dental problems such as tooth decay and gum disease.
- Oral Cancer: Oral cancer can affect any part of the mouth, including the lips, tongue, gums, and throat. It is usually caused by the growth of abnormal cells that invades and damages nearby tissues. It can lead to difficulty in speaking, swallowing, and eating. It can even spread to lymph nodes and lungs, causing life-threatening possibilities. Read More About – 5 Common Symptoms of Mouth Cancer
- Other conditions that might be linked to dental health include eating disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, HIV, AIDS, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, and an immune system disorder that causes dry mouth.
Maintaining Good Oral Health
Taking good care of your teeth and gums is a worthwhile lifestyle routine that can positively affect your overall health. Good oral hygiene and dietary habits are essential to achieving and maintaining overall betterment.
Some of the benefits of maintaining good oral hygiene are:
- Prevents tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Reduces the risk of systemic health problems such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Helps maintain fresh breath.
- Preserves the appearance of your smile.
- Saves time, energy, and money by avoiding costly dental procedures.
Regular Dental Check-Ups and Cleanings
Regular dental check-ups and cleanings with your dentist are important components of maintaining good oral health. Your dentist can aid in the prevention of dental problems, the removal of plaque and tartar buildup, the maintenance of healthy gums, the improvement of overall health, and the avoidance of costly dental procedures, thereby saving both time and money.
Prioritizing oral health is crucial, and ensuring everyone has access to quality healthcare services can create a fairer and healthier world. So why wait for your dental issues to worsen? Summirow Dental, the most trusted dental hospital in Gujarat, can assist you in achieving a healthy smile. Isn’t your healthy smile and overall well-being worth the investment?