Do you often find yourself standing and gazing at an aisle lined up with multiple kinds of toothpaste options?
When it comes to oral hygiene, choosing the right kind of paste which suits both you and your family is often very daunting. Selecting the right toothpaste is what we all seek. With so many paste options available in the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. It could create more confusion than clarity. It’s not just about finding good toothpaste but also one that contains beneficial ingredients for your teeth and gums.
Here we have listed some important ingredients that will brush away your stress and confusion and give you a clear mindset before buying any paste.
Here are 8 ingredients you should check for before buying any toothpaste:
- Fluoride – When choosing a kind of toothpaste, the most important thing to look for is fluoride. Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that strengthens tooth enamel and helps prevent tooth decay. It’s essential to check if your paste contains fluoride as it is a key ingredient in preventing cavities.
- Antibacterial agents – Some pastes contain antibacterial agents such as triclosan or chlorhexidine, which can help reduce the bacteria in your mouth and prevent gum disease.
- Abrasives – Abrasives are the gritty particles in toothpaste that help remove plaque and surface stains. However, it would be best if you avoid such paste with excessive abrasives that can damage tooth enamel. Read on 8-easy-ways-to-remove-tooth-stains
- Desensitizing agents – If you have sensitive teeth, there is toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Look for toothpaste that contains desensitizing agents like potassium nitrate or strontium chloride. These agents help block the pain signals from the tooth to the nerve.
- Tartar control agents – Tartar, also known as dental calculus, is a hard deposit that forms on teeth and can cause gum disease. Look for toothpaste that contains tartar control agents like pyrophosphates or zinc citrate.
- Whitening agents – Many toothpaste brands claim to have whitening properties to whiten teeth. If you want to brighten your smile, look for toothpaste that contains whitening agents like hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
- Natural ingredients – Some people prefer toothpaste made with natural ingredients like essential oils, baking soda, or charcoal. These ingredients can help freshen breath and remove surface stains.
- ADA Approval – You can be confident that toothpaste with the American Dental Association (ADA) seal of approval does what it says. Products with the ADA seal have been tested and evaluated for safety and effectiveness.
You could also use tooth powder. Tooth powder is used as a replacement for toothpaste. Make sure you are getting the right one for your oral health needs.
What are the things to avoid before buying any kind of paste?
When selecting a paste, it’s not just important to know which ingredients to look for, but also what to look out for when buying it. Here are some ingredients that you may want to steer clear of.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) – It’s a foaming agent commonly found in several kinds of paste. While it can help remove plaque, it can also irritate sensitive oral tissue and cause canker sores in some people.
- Triclosan – Triclosan is an antibacterial agent that was once commonly used in toothpaste, but it has been linked to potential health concerns like hormone disruption.
In conclusion, reading the ingredient label carefully before buying any paste is important. The usage of any item in the access amount poses a risk to your health. You must check the quality and quantity of every ingredient used in the paste you buy.
Ask your dentist or oral health professional for recommendations if you have any concerns. As the most reliable team of dentists in Gujarat, we are constantly available for your guided consultations and dental treatments.